Professional & Para-Professional Staff Development on Diversity
As a student life division and holistic educators, we partner with students through their development in academic and experiential learning, civic leadership and career development, diversity and inclusion, and wellness. In order to partner with students through their development in diversity and inclusion, we commit to furthering our own understanding and development in diversity education and cultural competency.
The purpose of the Professional & Para-Professional Staff Development on Diversity is to create diversity education and cultural competency training (as well as a means of assessment) for both professional and para-professional staff.
Current Trainings Offered to Lewis & Clark College Staff
Mission Statement: Intergroup Dialogue seeks to engage student life staff in building a more socially just and inclusive community through sustained and meaningful dialogue.
Learning Outcomes: After participating in Intergroup Dialogue, student life staff will:
- have an increased awareness of issues of diversity and social justice
gain a better understanding of own’s own identity and other’s identities
- effectively communicate about and across difference
develop efficacy in working with diverse people and groups
- understand where one can find resources (on and off campus)
Organizations and Professional Development Opportunities (Please Click Link for Full List)
- Safe Zone For All
- We Are Family
- Scouting For All
Suggested Readings (Please Click Link for full book list)
- Readings for Diversity and Social Justice: An Anthology on Racism, Sexism, Classism, Anti-Semitism, Heterosexism, and Ableism (ISBN:0415926343)
- Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice: A Sourcebook for Teachers and Trainers (ISBN:0415910579)
- It’s the Little Things: Everyday Interactions That Anger, Annoy, and Divide the Races (ISBN:0156013487)
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?: And Other Conversations about Race
- One Drop of Blood: The American Misadventure of Race (ISBN:0742976289)
- I Write What I like: Selected Writings (ISBN:0226048977)
- Two Nations: Black & White, Hostile, Separate, and Unequal (ISBN:0743238249)
- Racist America: Roots, Current Realities, and Future Reparations (ISBN:0415925320)
- White Out: The Continuing Significance of Racism (ISBN:0415935830)
- Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States (ISBN:0742516334)
Looking for more? Check out Inclusion & Multicultural Engagement’s list of Resources.