Fowler & Levin Summer Internship Award
Purpose: The purpose of the Stephanie Fowler & Irving Levin Summer Internship Award is to underwrite or supplement expenses of students at Lewis & Clark College who are engaged in internship experiences.
General Eligibility Requirements: The applicant must be a current Lewis & Clark College student who has obtained a summer internship in their field of interest (priority given to full-time internships). The internship placement should ideally be confirmed by the application deadline of April 7, 2017 by 5pm but it must be confirmed by April 24, 2017. To qualify for this award, students should plan to spend a minimum of 8-10 weeks at their internship site. Students may apply for and be awarded a Fowler & Levin Summer Internship Award up to two times while enrolled at Lewis & Clark College. Graduating seniors are not eligible.
Criteria/Selection: Fowler & Levin Summer Internship Awards will be awarded to students who have demonstrated strong academic performance and who have secured a meaningful internship experience that meets the specific eligibility criteria. Applicants will be judged on their ability to persuasively convey the connection between of the internship opportunity to their career aspirations, and their ability to articulate a clear understanding of their role as an intern including the impact they will have on the larger organization. The committee is looking for students who demonstrate initiative and are pursuing experiences that are: unique, life changing, formative and inspiring. A higher priority will be placed on applicants who:
- Demonstrate a financial need in order to pursue the internship experience
- Articulate the potential of the experience to be transformative in helping define and solidify career and personal aspirations
- Demonstrate initiative in creating a new and innovative experience
- Make a strong connection between the internship and career goals
- Propose a quality internship requiring substantial responsibility which includes meaningful learning experiences and projects
- Have been offered or obtained an unpaid full-time internship or low stipend that will not cover living expenses
- Have a strong academic record in coursework
- Are rising juniors and seniors
The Fowler & Levin Committee will select recipients without regard to race, color, origin, age, sex, or sexual orientation.
Award: A competitive number of awards typically between $1,500 and $2,500 each will be granted. After review of applications, the award amount may be adjusted based on the evaluation of the selection committee. Students may submit additional information to prove financial hardship that would limit them from accepting an unpaid internship. Under most circumstances, the award will total no more than $2,500 per recipient. Due to the highly competitive nature of these awards, students who fail to adequately address the required components of this application will not be considered. Applicants are strongly encouraged to begin work on this application well in advance and to take advantage of the resources offered.
Terms and Conditions: If granted an award, the recipient must sign and return the Terms and Conditions of the Fowler & Levin Internship Award to the Career Center prior to issuance of the award funds. The agreement clearly states that the recipient must accept and complete the requirements indicated below. Students who are studying abroad or have extenuating circumstances that limit their ability to meet the requirements below must contact the Career Center in order to maintain eligibility.
- Attend a mandatory orientation workshop and follow-up individual internship planning session
- Complete an internship at the site noted on the Fowler & Levin internship award application
- Submit a letter confirming acceptance from an internship site
- Attend a post-internship wrap-up session during the Fall ’16 semester with the other recipients to reflect on the experience and suggest the impact this award has had on their academic and career development
- Complete intern evaluation and facilitate completion of supervisor evaluation
- Compose a thank you letter to the donors
Failure to complete the above stated requirements will result in the forfeiture of award funds. Awards may take up to 3 weeks to process and may not be mailed out until late May.
Advising: For more information on the Fowler & Levin Summer Internship Award process and finding an internship, contact Nina Olken, Associate Director in the Career Center at 503-768-8079 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Completed applications are due no later than April 7, 2017 at 5:00pm. Late or incomplete applications will NOT be processed. Application forms must be typed.