Career Pathways Series
The Career Development Center has a created a series of hands-on programs designed to meet you where you are in your career journey. Join us for one or attend them all.
Registration Deadline: December 5!
Use the link below to register for Get That Job! or Destination: Portland by December 5. Each program has a $25 cost or register for both programs at a reduced rate of $40.
Get That Job! (January 12th - 13th, 9:00 am - 4:30 pm and January 14th, 9:00am-12:00pm)
So you have an idea of potential career paths, but how do you actually get your foot in the door? Knowing how to navigate the job and internship process can be tricky and it is competitive out there. Never fear, we are here to help you develop career search strategies and skills for a lifetime of success. Learn how to conduct a focused search in a tough economy including effectively articulating your value, researching industries and employers, developing a professional presence on social media, and building a network.This program is critical for anyone searching for a job or internship in the next year. Juniors and seniors, especially! Light breakfast and lunch provided!
Introduce effective job/internship search strategies including:
- Industry Research – How do I learn more about what’s out there in my area of interest?
- Resumes and Cover Letters – How do I make my application documents stand out?
- General Search Strategies and Resources – How and where do I look for opportunities?
- Hidden Job Market – How do I develop and use my network to find opportunities?
- LinkedIn – How can I use LinkedIn in my search?
- Interviewing – How do I effectively articulate my value to employers?
- Making a Plan – How can I make time and organize a successful search?
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Implement constructive strategies to manage a success job/internship search
- Understand the resources available to aid you in your search
- Identify your next steps and create a plan of action
- Effectively articulate your skills, experience and achievements in a: resume, cover letter, interview
Destination: Portland (January 14th, 2:00-4:00pm and January 15th-16th 9:00am-5:00pm)
We know you love Portland – it’s green, it’s progressive, it’s got culture, music and food. But how do you find a job in this tough market? Explore the Portland job market through site visits to local employersand advice from LC alums. This is a great opportunity to develop your networking skills, learn about local industries and job sectors, and get advice on job searching in Portland. Participants of this program who did not participate in Get That Job! are required to attend an Orientation Session on 1/14 from 2-4pm.
Site visits include: New Seasons, Green Empowerment, Survey Monkey, Beneficial State Bank, World Affairs Council, and Nemo Design!
Financial Assistance for all programs is available.