John S. Rogers Science Program
The John S. Rogers Science Research Program supports student-faculty collaborative research in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematical Sciences, Geological Science, Physics, and Psychology. The Rogers Program is open exclusively to Lewis & Clark students. Graduating seniors are eligible to apply, but preference will be given to continuing students. There are also numerous off-campus research opportunities in a wide range of fields.
A summer research internship is a full-time position lasting 10 weeks. The start and end dates are negotiated with your faculty mentor, but most internships begin in mid to late May and end 10 weeks later. Students selected for internships will receive a $4000 stipend and a $600 housing allowance, for a total (taxable) compensation of $4600. Most students rent a house or apartment with friends/co-workers. On-campus summer housing is also an option.
Students will be selected for internships based on the following factors:
- their background of courses and experience
- their GPA and other evidence of accomplishment
- recommendations from faculty and past employers
The selection process is competitive, and about half of the applicants are awarded internships. Based on the merits of your application, you may be contacted by individual faculty for an interview.
How to Apply (for Rogers and/or CRT)
- Download Common Application (Part 1): application.doc
- Complete the application, which includes an unofficial copy of your academic transcript. Unofficial transcripts can be obtained from WebAdvisor.
- On the application, you will be asked to list and rank up to four projects that interest you. Project Descriptions are updated in mid February.
- Complete the on-line application (Part 2). Make sure your answers are consistent for Part 1 and Part 2 of your application.
2013 Schedule for Applications
|March 1||Student applications due.|
|March 4-15||Faculty interview select students.|
|March 22||Students notified if they have been selected or not.|
|April 1||Students decide whether to accept offered positions.|
Opportunities in Science at Lewis & Clark
0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road, MSC 50
Portland, Oregon 97219