Julio C. de Paula
Professor and Chair of Chemistry
I am a Professor of Chemistry and a member of the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Program at Lewis & Clark College. I also teach in our Exploration and Discovery Program.
I have taught courses in general chemistry, physical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, instrumental analysis, biophysical chemistry, bioinorganic chemistry, nanoscience, and writing.
I joined the faculty of Haverford College in 1989. In 2005 I moved to Lewis & Clark College as Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences and Professor of Chemistry. From 2010 to 2013 I was an Associate Vice President & Director of Special Projects. While on professional leave from 2010 to 2012, I was a Program Director in the Chemistry Division of the National Science Foundation.
I have received a Christian and Mary Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching and a Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award. In 2005 I was the Knapp Visiting Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts at the University of San Diego. In 2015 I was named a Cottrell Scholar by the Research Corporation for Science Advancement.
My research in photosynthesis, nanoscience, and environmental chemistry involves undergraduates and has been supported by grants from private foundations and federal agencies. My textbooks of physical chemistry, co-authored with Professor Peter Atkins of Oxford University, are adopted widely by universities around the world.
News from the de Paula group
- May 2015: We have just received our new confocal Raman microscope, which will be used in studies of archaeological artifacts and photo-activated nanowires.
- April 2015: Julio de Paula was named a Cottrell Scholar by the Research Corporation for Science Advancement.
- April 2014: Julio de Paula joined the Chemical Sciences Roundtable, a committee at the National Academy of Sciences.
- Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics, Structure, and Change, 10th Edition, P.W. Atkins and J.C. de Paula, Oxford University Press (2014).
- Physical Chemistry: Quanta, Matter, and Change, 2nd Edition, P.W. Atkins, J.C. de Paula, and R. Friedman, Oxford University Press (2014).
- Elements of Physical Chemistry, 6th Edition, P.W. Atkins and J.C. de Paula, Oxford University Press (2013).
- Physical Chemistry for the Life Sciences, 2nd Edition, P.W. Atkins and J.C. de Paula, W.H. Freeman and Company, New York (2011).
- Effects of O2, Xe, and Gating on the Photoconductivity and Persistent Photoconductivity of Porphyrin Nanorods, C.K. Riley, E.A. Muller, B.E. Feldman, C.M. Cross, K.L. Van Aken, D.A. Johnston, Y. Lu, A.T. Johnson, J.C. de Paula, and W.F. Smith, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 114, 19227-19233 (2010).
- Science in the Service of Society: Seven Challenges for Educators. The College of Wooster, Wooster, OH (2013).
- Science in the Service of Society: Seven Challenges for Innovators. Jean Wilson Day Memorial Lecture. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ (2012).
- Science in the Service of Society: Seven Challenges for Higher Education. Keynote address at the rededication of Ebaugh Laboratories. Denison University, Granville, OH (2011).
Ph.D. 1987 Yale University
B.A. 1982 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey