Apply to be a LEAP Mentor!!
March 17, 2015
The Department of Inclusion and Multicultural Engagement’s peer mentor program, Leading to Engage All Pioneers (L.E.A.P.), is designed to help support new students of color and/or first generation college students as they transition into Lewis & Clark College.
As a LEAP Mentor, you help new students by…
- Orienting new students to our campus and community
- Creating a welcoming, inclusive, and informative environment
- Serving as resources for students for information about academic policies, programs, social organizations, campus life, and curricular/co-curricular activities
- Serving as academic and social role models
Qualifications for Consideration
- Have a strong commitment to Lewis & Clark and the philosophy behind the LEAP peer mentoring program
- Be a full time LC student with a flexible co-curricular schedule
- Be in good disciplinary and academic standing (minimum GPA of 2.5)
- Involved in co-curricular activities
- Ability and desire to work with students, faculty, and staff
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills
- Have a positive and motivated attitude!
LEAP Mentor Time Commitment and Expectations
- LEAP Mentors are expected to participate in all trainings (fall and spring) and orientations.
- This is a year long commitment. LEAP Mentors are expected to contact their mentees in the summer and remain in correspondence throughout the 2015-2016 academic year. We expect LEAP Mentors to spend at least an hour a week with their mentee(s).
- LEAP Mentors are expected to participate in LEAP events that may take place on OCCASIONAL weekends and evenings throughout the 2015-2016 year.
- LEAP Mentors are expected to attend a bi-weekly LEAP Mentor group meeting
- LEAP Mentors are expected to meet with the LEAP Program Supervisor bi-weekly
As a LEAP Mentor, you will gain
- Development of leadership skills
- Access to mentor/mentee only programs on and off-campus
- Benefits available only to LEAP Mentors
- Access to campus staff, faculty, and resources
- Completed Applications due by April 9th (paper applications or online applications are accepted)
- Interview Process will be held during the week of April 13-16
- LEAP Mentors will be notified on April 17
- For those invited to be LEAP mentors, you will be invited to the LEAP Dinner Celebration on Wednesday, April 22nd at Dang’s Thai Kitchen
- LEAP Mentors will be expected to arrive on campus prior to NSO in the Fall of 2015 for mentor training
Paper applications can be found in the Inclusion and Multicultural Engagement Office (3rd Floor Templeton next to Stamm East).