J. William Fulbright Grants
April 11, 2017
Campus Deadline: September 17, 2017, 4 p.m.
National Deadline: October 6, 2017, 2 p.m. PT
The US Congress created the Fulbright Program to foster mutual understanding among nations through educational and cultural exchanges. Recipients apply for specific programs, which may include university course work, independent research, or other special projects. The two main categories are English Teaching Assistantships (ETA) and Research Fellowships.
Eligibility: Seniors and recent graduates are invited to apply. In some countries, applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study.
Selection Process: Students must submit application essays first to the L&C faculty representative and the campus committee. Applicants put forward by the College pass through the National Screening Committee to the supervising agencies abroad. Final selections are made by the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.
Instructions for Full Grant and ETA Applicants - Fall 2017
LEWIS AND CLARK COLLEGE Fulbright Deadline: September 17, 2017, 4:00 p.m.; the final Fulbright Deadline is October 6, 2017, 2:00 p.m. local time.
Your Fulbright application and all supporting documents, including letters of affiliation and transcripts, must be submitted electronically. Please read the entire instruction sheet.
• Application Form: Please email a copy of your essays to Professor Deborah Heath at email@example.com by the LC deadline, Tuesday, September 17, 2017, at 4 P.M. PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL NOT COMPLETE YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION ITSELF UNTIL AFTER INTERVIEWS AND FEEDBACK. HOWEVER, THE CAMPUS COMMITTEE WILL REQUIRE THAT CERTAIN OTHER MATERIAL BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE EMBARK FULBRIGHT APPLICATION PROCESS BY THE TIME OF OUR INTERNAL DEADLINE OF SEPTEMBER 17, 2017. THESE INCLUDE: YOUR THREE LETTERS OF REFERENCE (TO BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED BY YOUR REFEREES), YOUR TRANSCRIPT, ANY NEEDED LETTERS OF AFFILIATION, YOUR LANGUAGE EVALUATION IF NEEDED, To be clear: You will not submit your two essays at this time, instead sending them to Professor Deborah Heath as above.
• (Updated) Online Application: https://iie.embark.com/auth/login
You will be asked to provide the following institutional information: Institution: Lewis and Clark College, Fulbright Program Advisor: Deborah Heath, firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-768-7663.
• Reference Letters: Letters must be submitted online using the Embark site. Register your recommenders online. These should be completed by the LC deadline.
• Transcript(s)*: Unofficial transcripts from every college/university you have attended must be submitted online on the Embark site. You may open any official transcript(s) to scan and upload to the “Transcript” page. This should be completed by the LC deadline.
• Overseas affiliation (if required)*: Establish contact(s) in your host country and obtain a letter from that contact for inclusion in your Fulbright application. The letter must be uploaded online to Embark by the LC deadline. [For more information about the affiliation: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/applicants/application-components]
• Foreign Language Evaluation (if required): Must be completed by a professional language teacher, and submitted online to Embark. Register the evaluator online. This should be completed by the LC deadline.
• Campus Interviews: We will notify you of your interview appointment after the September 17th campus deadline. Interviews take place in late September/early October. You will be interviewed by a small faculty committee from a broad range of academic disciplines. The resulting evaluation of your application will be sent to Fulbright by our office. The committee will also provide you with feedback for revising your essays. After the interview, you will have approximately one week to make final changes to your application before submitting revisions to your designated faculty reader & the LC Fulbright Program Advisor. Your faculty reader should approve the final essays before you post them on Embark to complete your application in time for the final submission deadline of October 6, 2017, 2:00 p.m. local time. (You will be responsible for coordinating with your reader so that you can meet this deadline, which may in some cases mean forgoing the final reader approval.)
The College evaluation of your application will be sent to Fulbright separately by our office.
• Applying from a Distance: Fulbright requires enrolled students to submit applications to the campus Fulbright Program Advisor by the campus deadline. If you are unable to be present in person for an interview during this period, you may still submit an application. Telephone interviews and feedback will be provided.
• Alumni Applications: Fulbright expects enrolled students to submit applications via the campus Fulbright Program Advisor and campus deadline. LC graduates who are no longer enrolled during Fall 2017 may participate in the campus review process (submit application to LC by campus deadline), thus benefiting from the feedback, revision, and evaluation process. Graduates may also choose to apply at-large (submit application directly to Fulbright by their deadline), but will forego the aforementioned benefits.
* Please notify our office if you need a scanner for your transcript(s) or letter(s) of affiliation. We will not be able to accommodate requests after September 11.
Questions? Please contact the LC Fulbright Advisor:
Professor Deborah Heath, email@example.com, 503-768-7663