J. William Fulbright Grants
April 24, 2015
The US Congress created the Fulbright Program to foster mutual understanding among nations through educational and cultural exchanges. Recipients apply for specific programs, which may include university course work, independent research, or other special projects. The two main categories are English Teaching Assistantships (ETA) and Research Fellowships.
- Eligibility: Seniors and recent graduate are invited to apply. In some countries, applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study.
- Selection Process: Students must submit applications first to the L&C faculty representative and the campus committee. Applicants put forward by the College pass through the National Screening Committee to the supervising agencies abroad. Final selections are made by the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.
Instructions for Full Grant and ETA Applicants - Fall 2015
LEWIS AND CLARK COLLEGE Fulbright Deadline: September 17, 2015, 4:00 PM; the final Fulbright Deadline is October 14, 2015, 2:00 PM local time.
Your Fulbright application and all supporting documents, including letters of affiliation and transcripts, must be submitted electronically. Please read the entire instruction sheet.
• Application Form: Please email a copy of your essays to Terry Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org by the LC deadline, Thursday, September 17, 2015. PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL NOT SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION ITSELF UNTIL AFTER INTERVIEWS AND FEEDBACK.
• Online Application: https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/usa/22/?QS=1
• Reference Letters: Letters must be submitted online. Register your recommenders online. This should be completed by the LC deadline.
• Transcript(s)*: Unofficial transcripts from every college/university you have attended must be submitted online. You may open any official transcript(s) to scan and upload to the “Transcript” page. This should be completed by the LC deadline.
• Overseas affiliation (if required)*: Establish contact(s) in your host country and obtain a letter from that contact for inclusion in your Fulbright application. The letter must be uploaded online by the LC deadline. [For more information about the affiliation: us.fulbrightonline.org/preparing_affiliation.html]
• Foreign Language Evaluation (if required): Must be completed by a professional language teacher, and submitted online. Register the evaluator online. This should be completed by the LC deadline.
• Campus Interviews: We will notify you of your interview appointment after the September 17 campus deadline. Interviews take place in late September/early October. You will be interviewed by a small faculty committee from a broad range of academic disciplines. The resulting evaluation of your application will be sent to Fulbright by our office. The committee will also provide you with feedback for revising your essays. After the interview, you will have approximately one week to make final changes to your application before submitting revisions to the LC Fulbright Program Advisor. The resulting evaluation of your application will be sent to Fulbright by our office.
• Applying from a Distance: Fulbright requires enrolled students to submit applications to the campus Fulbright Program Advisor by the campus deadline. If you are unable to be present in person for an interview during this period, you may still submit an application. Telephone interviews and feedback will be provided. Please contact Terry Moore at 1-503-768-7616 prior to 9/11/15 for assistance.
• Alumni Applications: Fulbright expects enrolled students to submit applications via the campus Fulbright Program Advisor and campus deadline. LC graduates who are no longer enrolled during Fall 2015 may participate in the campus review process (submit application to LC by campus deadline), thus benefiting from the feedback, revision, and evaluation process. Graduates may also choose to apply at-large (submit application directly to Fulbright by their deadline), but will forego the aforementioned benefits.
* Please notify our office if you need a scanner for your transcript(s) or letter(s) of affiliation. We will not be able to accommodate requests after September 11.