Woodrow Wilson – Rockefeller Brothers Fund Fellowship
The WW-RBF Fellowship seeks to prepare top undergraduate seniors who are either African American, Latino, Asian American or American Indian to seek a master’s degree education in teacher licensure in their field of interest at one of the 29 specified WW-RBF institutions. Twenty-five annually selected WW-RBF Fellows will receive a stipend of $30,000 to use towards their education. Each Fellow will apply on his/her own to any campus on the approved list and will be subjected to that institution’s admission process as any other student. It is the Fellowship’s hope that each qualifying institution will make as generous a financial aid as possible so that as much of the $30,000 stipend can be used towards living expenses. In return, Fellows commit to teaching for three years in a high-need urban or rural school upon their graduation.
Deadline: October 14, 2011
The candidate must:
- Be either African American, Latino, Asian American or American Indian
- Be in his/her senior year of undergraduate education
- Demonstrate a commitment to the program and its goals
- Have US citizenship or permanent residency
- Have attained, or expect to attain by June 30, 2012, a bachelor’s degree
- Have substantial background in the arts and sciences and high academic performance
- Have achieved a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale (negotiable for applicants from institutions that do not employ a 4.0 GPA scale)
- Not be currently in a teacher preparation program which leads to initial teacher certification
- 2 essay questions (500 words or fewer)
- Please explain interest in teaching in an urban or rural school and what special skills, insights, and perspectives you would bring to the classroom?
- How might you help a student in your class who is struggling to learn the subject matter?
- 2 letters of recommendation (one must be from a professor or faculty member)
- official transcript
- nomination form
Faculty Representative: Joel Martinez, Philosophy (firstname.lastname@example.org)