J. William Fulbright Grants
The US Congress created the Fulbright Program to foster mutual understanding among nations through educational and cultural exchanges.Recipients apply for specific programs, which may include university course work, independent research, or other special projects. The two main categories are English Teaching Assistantships (ETA) and Research Fellowships.
- Eligibility: Seniors and recent graduate are invited to apply. In some countries, applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study.
- Selection Process: Students must submit applications first to the L&C faculty representative and the campus committee. Applicants put forward by the College pass through the National Screening Committee to the supervising agencies abroad. Final selections are made by the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.
Instructions for Full Grant and ETA Applicants - Fall 2012
LEWIS AND CLARK COLLEGE Fulbright Deadline: September 24, 2012, 4:30 PM
Your Fulbright application and all supporting documents, including letters of affiliation and transcripts, must be submitted electronically. Please read the entire instruction sheet.
• Application Form: Please email a copy of your essays to Terry Moore at email@example.com by the LC deadline, Monday, September 24, 2012. PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL NOT SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION ITSELF UNTIL AFTER INTERVIEWS AND FEEDBACK.
• Online Application: https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/usa/22/?QS=1
You will be asked to provide the following institutional information: Institution: Lewis and Clark College, Fulbright Program Advisor: Deborah Heath, 503-768-7663; firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Reference Letters: Letters must be submitted online. Register your recommenders online.
• Transcript(s)*: Official transcripts from every college/university you have attended must be submitted online. You may open the official transcript(s) to scan and upload to the “Transcript” page.
• Overseas affiliation (if required)*: Establish contact(s) in your host country and obtain a letter from that contact for inclusion in your Fulbright application. The letter must be uploaded online by the LC deadline. [For more information about the affiliation: us.fulbrightonline.org/preparing_affiliation.html]
• Foreign Language Evaluation (if required): Must be completed by a professional language teacher, and submitted online. Register the evaluator online.
• Campus Interviews: We will notify you of your interview appointment after the September 24 campus deadline. Interviews take place in late September/early October. You will be interviewed by a small faculty committee from a broad range of academic disciplines. The resulting evaluation of your application will be sent to Fulbright by our office. The committee will also provide you with feedback. After the interview, you will have approximately one week to make final changes to your application before submitting revisions to the LC Fulbright Program Advisor.
• Applying from a Distance: Fulbright requires enrolled students to submit applications to the campus Fulbright Program Advisor by the campus deadline. If you are unable to be present in person for an interview during this period, you may still submit an application. Telephone interviews and feedback will be provided. Please contact Terry Moore at 503-768-7616 prior to 9/13/12 for assistance.
• “At-large” Applications: Fulbright expects enrolled students to submit applications via the campus Fulbright Program Advisor and campus deadline. LC graduates who are no longer enrolled during Fall 2012 may choose to apply at-large (submit application directly to Fulbright by their deadline) or to participate in the campus review process (submit application to LC by campus deadline).
* Please notify our office if you need a scanner for your transcript(s) or letter(s) of affiliation. We may not be able to accommodate requests after September 13.
LC Fulbright Advisor: Deborah Heath (email@example.com); 503-768-7663